One of the biggest problems people have when they try to lose weight is the massive lifestyle changes that it requires. These changes can happen too quick and worsen an individuals overall happiness and well being - but it is very much avoidable!
If you're like me, one of my favorite things to do with friends and family is go out and grab a bite to eat. It seems like most diets today want to cut that aspect of your life out completely so that you can maximize your weight loss.
Below are four tips to help you continue to lose weight while also enjoying a social life with friends and family.
1. Be Smart.
- Don't expect to be able to go out to eat for all you can eat ribs or one pound cheeseburgers every night and still be able to stay on track for your diet. Is it possible? Sure! But if you indulge like crazy, you're going to have to make up for it with a ton of cardio and very little to eat the rest of the day. (See Tip #3 to be more flexible here).
2. Order a Smaller Portion
- This may seem obvious, but if you order a smaller portion (think 1/4 pound burger instead of 1/2 pound), you won't eat as much! A problem that I have is that when I see food on a plate, I have a habit of eating until it's empty. Get out of the habit of ordering for size and simply order something reasonably portioned. You'll thank yourself when the meal is over.
3. Plan Your Day.
- If you have a good diet, chances are you have a calorie goal that you're trying to stay under each day. If you know that you are going to be going out for lunch or dinner, make your other meals a bit smaller. If I know that I'm going out for dinner, I like to save half of my calories for this meal so I feel a little less restricted. This usually means that I'm saving over 1,000 calories for one meal which is quite a bit! (not quite "all you can eat ribs" but you can eat a good chunk of food!)
- Plan your cheat days to your advantage. If you know you're going to have a big day of eating for an event, friends coming over or anything else, make this day your cheat day! Be strict with your diet throughout the other days of the week and let loose on this cheat day. Tip: One cheat day a week is actually good for you!
4. Eat Slowly.
- For whatever reason, this one is tough for me. If I see food, I eat food - quickly. I'm sure you remember your parents telling you to take your time with your food - that's because you get more full! If you give your stomach time to start processing what you've eaten, you will find that you'll be more full with less food.
- Drink more water before your food gets there and in between bites once you begin eating. Again, this will help fill your stomach - plus, hydration is key for fitness!
Follow the above four tips and you'll find that eating out doesn't have to ruin your diet. Make sure that you continue to have fun while dieting, people. It doesn't have to be a miserable process and you will enjoy your life so much more if you just remain smart about your lifestyle choices!