Spicy Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
By: Karen Tressler, RN
This recipe was adapted from “A Healthy Life for Me” blog site. Total prep and cooking time is about an hour. Makes 5 meals
- 1 bag of Perdue Perfect Portions chicken breasts cut into 1- 1.5 inch cubes (you can use any boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tbsp. Franks hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 strips of bacon, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped, green parts only
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Ground Black pepper
- 2 bags of frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli to equal 5 cups
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare chicken by cubing each chicken breast into about 8 pieces. On another cutting board, peel sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes (about an inch). Add chicken and potatoes into a large oven safe skillet. Add all the dry spices, oil, and hot sauce to the skillet and toss to coat the chicken and sweet potatoes. Cover skillet with lid or foil and roast for about 40 minutes. In the meantime, cook bacon in microwave for 3 min 30 seconds or in a skillet on the stove top. Chop bacon and green onion into small pieces and set aside. If you are using fresh broccoli, chop the florets into bite sized pieces and parboil, steam, or microwave until halfway done. Cool in ice water bath to prevent overcooking. If using frozen broccoli, simply portion 1 cup of broccoli into each of the 5 containers. The broccoli will be perfectly cooked when reheating the meal. If eating this dish immediately, obviously cook as per package directions.
After chicken is cooked all the way through and potatoes are soft, remove from oven and portion evenly over 5 meal prep containers. Garnish chicken and sweet potatoes with green onion and bacon. Add 1 cup of broccoli to each container.
Nutrition per bowl: 291 Calories, 34g Protein, 26g carbohydrates, 6g fat
- To add more protein, 1oz of chicken is 30 calories and 7g of Protein. Add additional ounces to each bowl to meet a higher protein requirement.
- To add more fat, consider adding ½ of and avocado to each bowl. ½ of a medium avocado is 120 calories, 2g Protein, 6g carbs, and 10g fat
- To lower carbohydrates, use only 1 sweet potato for the recipe and subtract 36 calories, and 8 carbs from each bowl.